1 Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996
From: Peter Norton
Subject: Re: Countdown to Apocalypse

why do people take their hallucinations so seriously?
will they post again after the predictions fail to come true?
or will they find some snippet in the news to justify the
fulfillment of their predictions?

This kind of thing happens so often, with the Moonies, with
the Hare Krishnas, with the Seventh Day Adventists, etc etc

you would think people would smarten up a little after all that,
but it seems these mystical auditions are so overwhelming and
different when they are experienced, that we have to believe they
are the literal truth, rather than just another level of dreaming.
-
oh well... happens to me too sometimes...

When Hale Bopp has come and gone with no big deal, I hope brother
Antaris will reassure us of another imminent arrival so we can
maintain the appropriate excitement of anticipation.  But, maybe
I am just choosing to be in a parallel universe where Hale Bopp
is just another dirty snowball?  Maybe it is really Santa Claus?

what is not forbidden, is mandatory.
-
anyway, excuse my ranting.

This week, I plan to forget all predictions of apocalypse
and meditate on the blissful smile of a baby lying in a manger
under a sweetly smelling tree and a brightly glowing star.

cheers

-
2 Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996
From: Peter Norton
Subject: psi, PEAR, and Randi

hi y'all, got a reply from PEAR on the Randi prize,

more evidence that orthogonal paradigms do not commute:

Brenda Dunne wrote:
> Peter Norton wrote:
> >On behalf of a newslist group interested in psi phenomena,
> >may I ask you all a question?
> >
> >Have you considered presenting your evidence of psi to the groups
> >offering rewards for 'scientifically demonstrable' evidence?
> >
> >If so, what happened?  If not, why not?
> >
> >The groups I am aware of are:
> >
> >The first is an Australia group offering A$30,000 for a show of psychic
> >ability.
> >
> >The web site is:  http://www.skeptics.com.au/chalenge.htm
> >
> >The second has a bit more to offer.  The "prize" is now $1,073,000
> >(USD).
> >This is the "James Randi Educational Foundation".
> >
> >The web site is:        http://www.randi.org/jr/chall.html
> >
> >Thanks for any info you may have.
> >
> >p.s. kudos on your website!  It is very interesting and seems to
> >be the way to go for accumulating hardcore evidence.  Do any
> >experiments lend themselves to individual use on a computer? i.e.
> >is there a shareware lab software experimenter's package available
> >to collect statistics etc?
> >
> >thanks very much
> >

> Dear  Peter Norton,
>
> Thank you for your kind comments on our research program and website.  Yes,
> we are aware of the " the groups
> offering rewards for 'scientifically demonstrable' evidence?", but have no
> interest in interacting with them.  Our purpose is to try to learn
> something, not to convince skeptics, and engaging in time- and
> energy-consuming debates with folks who are already persuaded that they have
> the answers is not a cost-effective use of our program resources.
>
> All of our human/machine experiments involve random elements based on fairly
> sophisticated technology that require substantial investments of time and
> effort for calibration, operation, and data processing.  None of them lend
> themselves to casual individual use, and we are not seeking to expand our
> data collection more broadly at this time.  However, there is a company in
> Minnesota called "Pear, Inc." that is developing a line of games based on
> some of our research findings.  You can contact them at  for
> further information.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Brenda Dunne
> PEAR Laboratory Manager