1 Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996
From: traveler
Subject: Re: re chat(Tantra)

>No, I'm not lonely.  I'm in pursuit of the Beloved, the other half of the
>self; the ultimate unity of the male and female in one andorogynous big
>bang.  I'm being a little facetious here.  Actually, the one problem with
>True Tantric Sex is that is leads one  into the innate ability to see the
>god-soul of the individual you are making love to.  It means Loving, at a
>soul level, not just with heart, mind and body.  It means joining at the
>highest level man is capable of joining at:  the immortal self joined the
>another immortal being captured outside time and space. To both be torn
>out of your bodies and face each other in pure astral form?

Dear Jan,
-
I hear that this is your experience with Tantra. But it is not necessarily
the outcome of Tantra for others. There are so many variations.

In some sects, the initiate male makes love to a very, very, old woman, so
that he may learn the impernanence of the physical, and how to transcend it.
Obviously, this is a one-night union and not a soul-mate bonding. He learns
to experience the divine feminine energy, presumably in someone he will not
bond with.

In other ceremonies, Tantric couples routinely partner with others so that
they may experience the divine in everyone, including oneself. Celtic
ceremonies and other religions also do this. In a sense, they too feel that
a certain detachment is of value.

IMHO, western ideals of love and romance promote an image of the "cleaving
together of souls unto death" or whatever. These ideals reflect a general
prohibition of any kind of senseual pleasure that suggest terrible pain and
sadness will occur outside the socially proscribed rules of relating.

Tantric ceremonies are a means by which the kundalini energies are shared
and celebrated. In the ceremonies I know of initiates are carefully screened
so that they are emotionally as well as spiritually ready for this.

ANyway, not to question that your choice is right for you, as it seems
clearly correct. Just to set the record straight for Tantra, which is so
often misunderstood, especially in the western world.

best, traveler

-

2 Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996