kundalini-l-d Digest                            Volume 96 : Issue 232

1 Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996
From: Robert Chalmers
Subject: Kundalini Hypothesis or Two

I am enjoying many of the posts at the moment, however I would like to tack off
on a slightly different course.  I realise that we have a huge amount of
experience between us and we can explore the nature of the kundalini...

I have a hypothesis or two.

I read in an unknown book several years ago that the breath in the human body
alternates every (approximately) two hours from one side to the other.  This
alternation is evidenced by the breath being predominantly through one nostril
and then through the other. This is hard to believe, but if you do follow your
breathing you will see that it is in fact quite true!  It is very hard, however,
to adequately research and difficult to be so aware that you realise when you are
passing from one mode over to the other.  I do not know if there is a difference
between the sexes or not.  I also do not know if this would have significance for
kundalini, although like everyone else, I believe kundalini, prana and breath are
linked.  The breathing may be an external symptom of the ida/pingali phenomenon.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

Another one. Many people think they are particularly "blessed" by the arousal of
kundalini and they may think that they are now in some way unique.  Powerful food
for the egotistical in us all.  Could it possibly be different?  I remember
discussing some of my "mature" kundalini experiences (chakra energy etc.) with a
baptist christian to find that he also experienced the same kind of feelings.
Maybe, goes my second hypothesis, I had sunk to such a spiritually low level
prior to the kundalini experience, that an experience of God would inevitably
lead to a powerful release of energy which was suppressed to an extremely low
level.  Hence the explosive effect of kundalini rising up the spine.

Not something to be incredibly proud of, although neither is it something to be
ashamed of...

Robert
-

2 Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996
From: Peter Norton
Subject: St. John of the Cross

Imagine my surprise on just now reading 'The Ascent of Mt Carmel' by St John of
the Cross (after so many years of wondering about this 'Dark Night' business),
and seeing his diagram of the ascent sketching a very striking similarity to the
shape of brain hemispheres with  3 paths coming in from the bottom, a large
central path and two smaller side paths on either side.  I was struck immediately
by the suggestion  of the nadi channels.

In what I've read so far I have not seen that he explicitly  describes any
'esoteric' physiology like kundalini, but he must have experienced it given the
depth of his transformation.

He does have some good advice on visions and auditions, reinforcing  the classic
eastern advice to not seek them or put too much  significance into them, even
though they are positive signs.

anyway, check out the picture, the book is in the 'Classics of Western
Spirituality' series currently in print, called just 'St John of the Cross'.

His second version of the diagram published in some other books is not as
striking in its brain similarity as the original version of the  diagram.

This site has the second version of the diagram:

http://ccel.wheaton.edu/john_of_the_cross/ascent/ascent.html

anyway....

"Nothing, nothing, nothing ... and even on the Mount, Nothing."
San Juan de la Cruz
(the description of the middle path)

Cheers

-

3 Date: Mon, 11 Nov 1996
From: Peter Norton
Subject: Re: Genesis, kundalini, mythology

Philip St. Romain wrote:
> The practical aspects of this are obvious.  I appreciate the many postings
> that emphasize a "go with the flow" regarding the energy, but I am
> concerned about those which suggest willful attempts to raise the energy
> before its time, sometimes, it seems, with no particular spirituality or
> higher power to guide the process.  This is extremely dangerous, in my
> view.

Hi, Nietzsche is a good example of this, in some ways.
(as well as Nijinsky and Van Gogh and ... myriads of schizophrenics?)
Though not having any living spiritual tradition to affiliate
with was no fault of his.  His case shows both the inevitability
of KA given the depth of the quest, and the
danger given the absence of support.
He wasnt really 'willful' in arousing K, I think,
he recognized the power and stood in awe of it, and recognized
how 'unheard of' it was in western history.
It was an 'accident' that provoked his final K-arousal,
where he tried to rescue a horse that was being flogged.
His final conscious act being one of self-sacrifice.

Nietzsche:

~1880: "If there was a God, how could I bear not
to be a God? ergo there is no God!"

~1888: "When will I find the strength to summon you,
my abysmal thought? ... What is happening to me?"

1889:  "Are we content?  I am the God who
created this farce!"

Dec 1889: "Sing me a new song! The world is
transformed and all the heavens sing with joy!"

after 1890: "I wrote good books once, didnt I?"

Anyway, just goes to show that evolution is not
always pretty.

Let us all be grateful for the ancestors!

cheers
-

4 Date: Mon, 27 Aug 1956