1 Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996
From: stampmanATNOSPAMix.netcom.com (Daniel Rusch-Fischer )
Subject: Cheesophobia -- Weekend

Dietary oddities are often a byproduct of k-awakening. Vegetarianistic
leanings are common. I have been having this along with other dietary
peculiarities. I have been dieting for a long time and have gradually
lost 130# over the last 2-1/2 years and been able to keep it off
(fingers are crossed as long-term success in weight loss is a rarity).
During that time I have consciously adjusted my intake to reduce fats,
calories, alcohol, sugar, dairy, etc. All with the intent of
weight-reduction.

I also gave up most meat except poultry and fish. Since my K-A I have
been unable to eat any meat (chicken immediately started feeling in my
mouth like worms look to the eye). Also, cheese was very unappetizing.
I have not been judgmental about meat-consumption in others, but have
adamantly avoided eating it myself.

I assumed that this was prompted by a subconscious belief that I was
'obliged' by the experience to do so. I wasn't concerned about it since
this can (with a careful attention to the rest of my food intake) be
healthy and help keep the weight off. I do now eat several slices of
cheese pizza on Fridays and indulge in a mozzarella stick occasionally.

What IS odd is that even though I have not been able to eat meat, I
have a spontaneous and instantaneous reaction to being surprised by
cheese. OK, that sounds weird, is weird, and Karen literally ROFL's
when she sees it happen.

A good example happened this weekend. Karen, sister-in-law and I were
at a restaurant for dinner. I had ordered a dinner salad for lunch and
was doing the 'mystical thing' with the sister-in-law when the salad
arrived. I was looking at her when it was set down and when I finished
talking to her I turned toward the bowl to start eating. I then spotted
the grated cheese sprinkled on top, reared back in horror, and let out
a yell so loud that it startled people in the restaurant. Karen started
laughing because she knew exactly what had happened - I was having a
cheesophobia attack!

I had expected the normal three-leaves of wilted lettuce, pieces of
shredded red cabbage and a cherry tomato laying on the side. As a
result I wasn't mentally prepared for the sight of the cheese - the
reaction I get is the same one that Karen gets when she picks up her
nightgown and a large, hairy, black spider skitters out from
underneath. I think she gets as big a charge out of seeing me react in
the same manner as I tease her about (little, tiny spider; couldn't
hurt you at all, etc.) as she does in the preposterousness of being
startled by cheese!!!

Let's hear ANYONE top that for weirdness (BTW I get the same reaction
to being surprised by meat, especially ground meat - looks like a
horrible accident was scraped up, burned and slapped on the plate -
no, not a judgment, just my current gut-reaction - I get startled by
meat less often because I usually can smell it before I see it).
-
As an aside, yesterday we were in Modesto pleading with the DA to drop
felony charges against our son (which he finally did, reluctantly). For
lunch we stopped in Taco Bell and I ordered my usual side of beans (no
cheese), side of rice (no cheese) and a Diet soda. I dump the two
together and stir to a mouth-watering, eye-appealing, baby-whoopsie-
like viscosity (my way of getting back at those around me who are
gourmandizing down large slabs of muscle-tissue sliced from the limbs
of dead animals-).

We were chatting and eating (Karen avoids looking at my felicitous
concoction to keep her stomach stable). Suddenly, I got this weird
taste in my mouth - I KNEW exactly what it was - MEAT. Sure enough
there was a little cube of chicken that had fallen in the frijoles and
gotten in my mouth. I almost woofed my cookies! The whole back corner
of my mouth felt rotten, tasted like a third-degree burn smells, I
gulped the rest of my soda to try and wash out the taste. I managed to
avert projectile vomiting at the table; barely.

Is my weird aversion to meat based more on some kind of sensitivity
than subconscious philosophical adherence? All my other senses are
altered, heightened, more acute.

Love and LAUGHING LIGHT,
DAN-RF (RoFl)

2 Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996