1 Date: Sat, 12 Oct 1996
From: Natha Bhaktyananda
Subject: No compromise with Kundalini, please!

Paco has written:

Natha,
I wanted to say something at this point.
There is no denying that your information on
Tantric practices has some truth to it and is
rooted in primordial wisdom.

Perspective is required, however. Some of the practices
you describe are just not for everybody. (etc.)
----------------------------

So is Kundalini: not for everybody! The Yogic and Tantric texts are full
of warnings for the *madmen* who would play chaotically with this
gigantic force of the Nature. There is a strict technology to it,
outside of which one positively risks to blow one's bulb... Without this
clear understanding, *to give advice* (as some people on this list
feel so free to do!) about Kundalini is like sending a child alone with
a hammer, to fix a nuclear reactor.

There are on this list a lot of people with various problems:
schizophrenics, manio-depressives, alcoholics, patients of Alzheimer,
people with serious existential dilemas, etc., etc. (this is not meant
as an insult to anyone, since those people have openly confessed here
their problems, and asked for advice). Some of them have true Kundalini
phenomena, others (IMHO) only believe so, and interpret mistakenly
various physiological and psychic phenomena as Kundalini. Some of these
people have awakened their Kundalini on purpose (somehow...), while
others deem themselves as mere "victims" of it.

But whichever be the situation of these people, there is no way in which
one should accept any compromise-teaching about Kundalini -- it is
far too dangerous! So if the tradition speaks about *complete*
continence (brahmacharya) as a requisite for the successful ascension of
Kundalini, *let us not improvise naively*, and pretend that maybe that
is not so important... It is like fooling around with the basic rules
concerning electricity -- it can turn pretty unhealthy :-)

And one does not need to be a "divine Yogi" to control one's sexual
potential, neither an "advanced practitioner". It takes about two weeks
(at the most) for a woman, and three to six months for a stubborn man --
the figures are taken from direct Western experience.
-
And of course that one *needs* to control one's sexual energy to
accomplish spiritual goals. Even the sport champions, martial artists,
or chess players know this simple truth, for more simple goals and for
shorter periods of time. You say that people would become agitated if
they would do this, but it is precisely that "agitation" that we are
talking about and that opposes to the spiritual drowsy of those who lack
this control. The space here is much to short to go into the details of
this matter, but I will be at your disposal with further explanations.
Anyhow, remember that one does not need to "suck water through the tip
of the penis" for this, neither does the semen go into the bladder -- or
it would be simply *lost*.

With blessings,

--
Natha Bhaktyananda