1 Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996
From: Natha Bhaktyananda
Subject: Re: Power of intent & Existence of God

Swenson O wrote:

> Kaere Natha.
>
> It has been interesting to observe the discussion that has been
> going on between you and some of the other list members... (etc.)

        Dear Omar,

It has been quite a while since you've sent this message (both privately and on
the list), and therefore I don't know if you are still there to receive this
feed-back.
-
Obviously I do not agree with you upon several points, but I definitely do
agree on that: "it has not been proven that any psychic discipline... leads to
any specific spiritual attainment". And I think that this is precisely why we
have to try and discriminate here between the phoney and pathological aspects
of kundalini and the objective phenomena. Further are some samples of this:

In saying that there are "as many truths as there are individuals" you
definitely show yourself not only contaminated by the Western "tolerance"
(read: flabbiness of spirit) but also as sharing a mentality of materialistic
anthropologist; there is only One Truth -- and an Absolute Truth for that! All
the traditions categorically converge into this statement. We may say that
there are "as many *paths* as there are individuals", but this is an entirely
different matter! We may say that various traditions upon this planet have
expressed this One Truth in various ways, which sometimes *seem* to contradict
each other and create confusion. But to deny the existence of an Absolute
(which by its very definition is one), which is the cornerstone of any
spiritual aspiration, means to approach spirituality and kundalini from a
subtly materialistic position, and that is definitely wrong (and dangerous!).
No wonder that many of the people from this list experience negative, sad or
terrible phenomena related with kundalini, when they openly express a sceptical
or atheistic standpoint concerning this crucial matter! They ignore that in the
tradition Kundalini is regarded as a *goddess*, which has to be worshipped,
beseeched and mastered, if one were to reach the final goal without trouble...
To be interested in kundalini only out of an odd curiosity, can be after my
opinion, not only useless but also dangerous. What aspiration could a human
being nurture, if there wouldn't exist something unique, eternal, infinite, and
common to all, to strive after? What would be the purpose of any spiritual
practice (or of life itself) if eventually everyone would discover that there
are "as many truths as there are individuals" -- and practically reach a cosmic
projection of "mind your own bussiness"? Consciousness is One.

You write further that many of the people here have experienced "what could be
termed kundalini" (and therefore have a *practical* knowledge of the matter
rather than my theoretical one). That is precisely where the problem resides:
if we do not distinguish between the pathological or phoney/insignificant
manifestations of kundalini, and the spiritual/constructive ones, we risk to
mix them up. And that would be tragic, since as you write it many people are
gathered here to gain benefit and then put into practice advice given within
the group. There is some "advice" I've read around that I would be really sorry
to hear that somebody has taken seriously...

Do not try to delude yourself with the cliche of "different cultures and
backgrounds"; electricity works the same in India as in the West, and surgery
or anatomy of man is the same wether you are Buddhist or Christian. If there is
a *science* of kundalini, it should be approached scientifically and
objectively, and not as "everyone has his own truth". I think it would be
pretty difficult to build refrigerators (for instance :-) if you would
interpred thermodynamics in this manner... Albert Einstein has once said:
"Science without religion is blind; religion without science is lame." That is
precisely why usually one cannot rely only on some extraordinary experience one
has had. An ancient saint used to say: "Mysticism (i.e. a chaotical openning
towards the unknown, as many New Age "experts" advise) without theology (i.e. a
clear science, which helps one to preserve the common sense) is the religion of
the demons". Many should meditate carefully upon this dictum...

I do not know why everybody tries to take this old beaten path of: "it will
remain an absolute truth relative to you", "it is understandable that you
defend your faith", "according to your lineage", etc. In all the mail that I
have posted on this list I have never used statements such as: "my teaching
says", "I have experienced it thus", "my teacher said", etc. As a matter of
fact I have never taken advantage of my personal experience in the field,
especially to avoid this kind of discussion. Instead I have largely quoted from
traditional sources and masters, whose oppinion is much above mine. And yet,
people keep on hammering upon this topic, undoubtly to put me back in my drawer
with the notorious formula "you have your own truth, I have mine, goodbye". I
don't think that is mature, nor constructive.

Finally, you state that miracles do not prove the truth of the other statements
of the people who made them (although in the case of Jesus they were made
*specifically* with the purpose of backing his other statements!). I am ready
to agree with you, although people who perform true miracles definitely show a
better knowledge of the secret laws of the Nature, and as such deserve to be
listened with lots of respect. But there is also another factor which may be
taken into account: "any tree is known by its fruits". Therefore, if somebody
for example makes phantasmagoric statements concerning kundalini while his/her
life is a failure (or at least full of unhappiness), there are serious reasons
to deem that he/she is talking a lot of bull and would do better to practise
humbleness and modesty, and learn from some who know how to reach true
happiness and wisdom.
With blessings,

--
Natha Bhaktyananda
Købmagergade 28, 2., 1150 K

-
2 Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996
From: Paco

Just want to say, that this here mailing list is
really very interesting...kinda makes me feel good
when I check my email...although initially I was
going to unsubscribe after the first day because it
seemed like some kind of Spam war filibuster with
40-50 posts a day, basically from 3 or 4 people.
Now that I've been on here for about a month, I see
how wrong I was. *smile*. Maybe it would be cool if
people could consolidate their posts into one giant
post and add a header that mentioned all the threads.
Just a thought, might save me a few minutes and make
everything easier to sort through.
	Don't get me wrong though, it's all cool, y'know?
I really like this newsgroup alot, for even more reasons
than the name...you all seem pretty cool.
-	OK, check it out: I saw this show on TV, and there
was footage of a giant Cobra in India, it was matte black
with large scales and when it stood up it swayed
slightly, it's long body like a rope standing on end.
It seemed to JUMP forward suddenly with it's whole body, then
rearing back again, it's diamond hard head weaving higher and
higher as it drew itself up into the air. When it stood up it
was about ten feet tall. That's pretty cool, huh?

		adios,
-		Paco

3 Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996
From: Natha Bhaktyananda
Subject: Re: Global answer(s)

Raymond has written:

The above paragraph, posted last week, has continued to bother me until I now
feel compelled to directly answer it.  I will try to keep this brief. *There is
a lot of truth in the above statement* but the author is not familiar with the
western tradition. (etc.)
- ------------------------------

Although this message is almost two months old, I will still answer it for the
question it raises. To tell you the truth, dear Raymond, I would have been
surprised *not* to have received a post like yours. However, I must sternly
deny many of the things you have written there. It is obvious that this
"Western tradition" about which you speak, which is so "steeped in Secrecy and
Silence" is the notorious Freemasonic organisation, of doubtful reputation. I
can assure you that I have read a lot about this matter, and that I am familiar
into detail with the teachings of the Golden Dawn, Ordo Templi Orientis,
Rosicrucians, Kabbalists, Wicca & Co., etc. However, with the exception of the
Tree of Life from Kabala (which did not exist in the original Masonry, being
introduced only later by the speculative Freemasonry by mixing with Jewish
Kabbala) there is no earlier reference to any kundalini in this field. Even the
guys from the Golden Dawn have taken their information concerning kundalini
from the (largely mistaken!) translation by Brodie/Mathers of a Tantric text
from India (on tattva-s and astral projection) and some fluff brought from his
travels by Aleiser Crowley, the black magician of sad reputation. It is a
ridiculous thing to believe that an octupussy-like organisation which contains
Bill Clinton, George Bush, CIA, all the Rotschilds, Rokefellers and other
bankers and money cartels who secretly rule the world, would be a "Western
tradition". Not only that there is a lot of hollow talk here, but we are
actually rather confronted with a SATANIC SECT. Better return to our kundalini
story...

With blessing,
-
--
Natha Bhaktyananda
Købmagergade 28, 2., 1150 K
Denmark
Tf.: (45) 33930858, Fax: (45) 33930668

4 Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996
From: Mike Parr
Subject: Re: kundalini & asanas

Lia wrote

> lately i've been finding that my body wants to do spinal twists during my
> meditation as well as the usual undulating spine thing i've gotten for a
> long time now. its not quite as shocking as when i used to automatically go
> into the bridge pose before falling asleep in my bad, or during reiki
> treatments, or while making love.
>

> lia

Hi Lia
I've done some 'postural integration' sessions, which are a kind
of deep tissue massage where moving and talking are
encouraged.  There can be very enegising feeling, plus I also
went into the sponataneous yoga stuff - especially back bends -
the 'wheel' etc.  I imagine that a lot of these spontaneous poses
are related to relocating the spine.
(btw, I dont think such things are shocking :-)  I guess you
dont really !!

Best wishes - Mike

5 Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996